Friday, November 19, 2010

Déjà vu

On day 10 of the IV antibiotics (the evening of the 1st day of school for Makelle)... I was reminded of a feeling I wished to never remember. Panic set in as Makelle called from the bathroom. She had vomited blood. It was a small amount, but nonetheless, it was there. Shaking, I knew this could be bleeding varices.

Quickly we jumped in the car and drove to the local ER. On the way there she vomited again. Now I was really scared. "Please be OK," I silently prayed.

It's like going into a strange state of adrenaline rush. A mix of emotions...panic, fear, try to stay level headed... think though this, don't overreact. Be calm for Makelle.... Try to explain the history to the ER Doc without babbling on ...try to speak coherently ... he needs to understand this very complicated history. (Oh why, oh why don't I carry a history with me for times like this?)

Despite all of this, it is always amazing to me how I make it through. Someone is always looking out for me when I feel this way, and I am able to stay by Makelle's side to reassure her.

During this ER visit, it was confirmed that she was indeed vomiting blood. After a call to Primary Children's GI team, we were sent back for hospitalization #3.

No comments:

Post a Comment